WHAT IS GREENSPEC?
GreenSpec is the PASS label’s parent organisation. A PASS endorsement includes listing and promotion through the GreenSpec web platform.
Originally set up in 2003 as a two-year project, in conjunction with the BRE (Building Research Establishment) GreenSpec was funded by the UK Government with a brief to develop information on low environmental impact building materials for architects and specifiers.
Since 2006 GreenSpec has been run commercially by a small group of industry professionals dedicated to disseminating information about products and building techniques which optimise the practice of Green construction.
GreenSpec supplies information exclusively through its website www.greenspec.co.uk. This is split into two parts – one part provides design guidance and the other is a directory of PASS endorsed Green building products.
Key features of GreenSpec
- It provides an online Green design resource for the construction industry
- Through GreenSpec PASS, it identifies, endorses and promotes Green building products
- It provides a toolkit of services to manufacturers, architects and specifiers to leverage the market for Green construction products
- It is designed for and written by practising architects and specifiers
- The GreenSpec website attracts between 65 -70,000 visitors a month
- GreenSpec has an established following – there are more than 10,000 links to the website from other sources
GREENSPEC A TRUSTED RESOURCE
A trusted resource
- GreenSpec design guidance is referred to by the Government-published Code for Sustainable Homes technical guide.
- The Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors - operated ‘Ska Rating’ system promotes GreenSpec as a preferred source for information about Green products and materials.
- GreenSpec is listed as the sole source of Green construction information by the Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT).
- GreenSpec is listed as a standard source for major non-government organisations, including the UK Green Building Council, Constructing Excellence, BRE, NBS and WRAP.
- Devolved assemblies and local authorities list GreenSpec as a source of information for sustainable construction design guidance. Authorities include the Welsh Government, the Scottish Government, Kent, Bristol, Brighton, Warwick, Leicester, Nottingham, Lambeth, Camden, Lewisham, Westminster, Richmond, the Wirral, Durham, Dundee, Croydon, the Royal Borough of Windsor, and Maidenhead and others.
What people say about GreenSpec
“I recommend materials and products on a daily basis, and knowing which are more environmentally benign is a minefield. Having searched for standardised information, I have found nothing that rivals GreenSpec. The website is well organised, thorough, transparent, and well researched. In a word, 'brilliant'.”
Sylvia Juzwa, Director at Remake Architecture
“GreenSpec is recognised by a wide range of organisations, including government, and is an informed source in respect of sustainable construction and products.”
The Joint Contracts Tribunal, - Guidance Note – Building a sustainable future together
“My colleagues and I have been using GreenSpec since it was first started with the BRE several years ago. The site has proved an invaluable resource for us over the years and it continues to grow and improve, ensuring that it remains as relevant and helpful for specifiers as it always has been, as increasing numbers of sustainable products, technology and systems have come to market.”
Dieter Gockmann, EPR Architects
“This is a fantastic resource for anyone designing or specifying green buildings. Extensive database of sustainable products and materials with comprehensive guidance on design and specification issues and watch points. Highly recommended.”
Darren Jones, Nicholas Hare Architects
“Though it can be a little overwhelming, just because of the sheer amount of information on the site, Greenspec is a great first stop for architects and students looking for something specific or just browsing for sustainable materials and products.”
Ben Hopkins, Bennetts Associates
“While RICS and the BRE offer quite good insights into the theory of sustainability in construction, they distinctly lack information on the application of the issues. GreenSpec offers a good balance of content that ranges from design to building products and materials . . . . A nice feature is the extensive separate lists of building products and materials information, a feature found only on GreenSpec.”
Craig Clark, NBS
“It is my first point of call for materials - over the RIBA Product Selector and Barbour Index. Their ‘tell it how it is’ policy is, in my opinion, open and honest, and should be the way all materials are chosen.”
Paul Bevis, Bailey Partnership
“GreenSpec is an online CPD for sustainable construction”
Pat Borer, architect and author
“An invaluable guide to products with green credentials.” The Independent “I was blown away by its comprehensiveness, user-friendliness, common sense and sheer bloody brilliance.”
Suzy Edwards, BRE associate and author of 'Methodology for Environmental Profiles of Construction Materials, Components and Buildings'
A TYPICAL GREENSPEC PRODUCT DIRECTORY PAGE